Endocrinology is the branch of medicine which treats disorders of endocrine glands, which produce proteins called hormones. These hormones are released into the bloodstream and affect many different parts of the body.
Conditions commonly seen
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Gestational diabetes
- Thyroid disorders
- Parathyroid and calcium disorders
- Pituitary gland tumours and dysfunction, such as Acromegaly, Cushing’s disease and prolactinomas
- Adrenal gland disorders such as Addison’s disease
- Testosterone deficiency states
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome and menstrual disorders
- Hormonal disorders in pregnancy
Endocrinology also involves the management some rare diseases which are not included in this list such as some pancreatic and adrenal tumours. Most endocrinologists work closely with surgeons who work in the field of endocrine surgery, as some conditions will need a combination of medical and surgical treatment.